ICTP-SAIFR School/Workshop on Integrable Models: From Quantum Spin Chains and Vertex Models to AdS/CFT
July 2, 2018 - July 14, 2018
São Paulo, Brazil | IFT-UNESP
Integrability has become a tool of choice in studying classical and quantum interacting systems, being one of the few non-perturbative methods available. For a long time it was restricted to one dimensional systems, and as such it found numerous applications in low-dimensional systems in condensed matter physics, and more generally in statistical physics.
From its beginning, integrability is deeply intertwined with mathematics, from which it draws inspiration and rigour. More recently, integrability found surprising applications in a new approach to quantum gauge theories, with new ideas arising from dualities between gauge and string theory. Through the impressive and widely recognised successes in the calculation of anomalous dimensions, scattering amplitudes and correlation functions in planar N=4 super-Yang-Mills theory on the one hand, and the exact determination of the low-energy physics of N=2 super-Yang-Mills theories on the other hand, a new perspective is emerging on gauge theory viewed as an integrable system.
This program aims at bringing together young researchers and specialists in integrability from statistical physics, condensed matter physics, gauge and string theory and mathematics. The purpose is to provide the young researchers with the necessary background for working in these rapidly evolving fields, and to stimulate cross-fertilization of different research areas.
The two-week program will start with a school followed by a workshop. The school is probably the most important component of the program. Experts from high-energy integrability will lecture aiming at an audience of cond-mat/stat-mech integrabilists and vice versa. So it should be a great opportunity for learning the different approaches. The workshop will be quite relaxed with about 2 talks per day, one on high-energy and the other on cond-mat/stat-mech, again aiming at stimulating interactions between the two communities.
This ICTP-SAIFR program is part of a coordinated set of programs starting with a portion in Stockholm in Nordita from May 14 to June 8, 2018, followed by a two-week program in Natal at the IIP from June 18 June – 29 of June right before this Sao Paulo program. Note that most flights to Natal pass by Sao Paulo anyways so we hope many people will coordinate and come for both programs. There is no registration fee for the program in São Paulo and limited funds are available for travel and local expenses. We hope to see you in Sao Paulo (and Stockholm and Natal as well) for an exciting interdisciplinary meeting.
- Vladimir Korepin (State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA)
- Giuliano Ribeiro (UFSCar, Brazil)
- Didina Serban (IPhT-Saclay, France)
- Pedro Vieira (ICTP-SAIFR/IFT-UNESP, Brazil & Perimeter Institute, Canada)
- Shota Komatsu (IAS-Princeton, USA): Integrability in four-dimensional gauge theories: beyond spectral problem
- Vladimir Korepin (State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA): Quantum Inverse Scattering Method
- Márcio José Martins (UFSCar, Brazil): Integrable Lattice Models and Algebraic Geometry
- Konstantin Zarembo (NORDITA, Sweden): Origins of AdS/CFT integrability
- Nikolay Gromov (King´s College London, UK)
- Romuald Janik (Jagiellonian University, Poland)
- Vladimir Kazakov (Laboratoire de Physique Théorique École Normale Supérieure, France)
- Ivan Kostov (Université Paris Saclay, France)
- Igor Krichever (Columbia University, USA)
- Charlotte Kristjansen (Niels Bohr Institute, Denmark)
- Ivar Lyberg (IIP-UFRN, Brazil)
- Fedor Smirnov (University Pierre and Marie-Curie, LPTHE, Paris, France)
- Jacopo Vitti (IIP-UFRN, Brazil)
Application deadline: April 27, 2018
More information: http://www.ictp-saifr.org/integrability18